"In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life. It goes on." -Robert Frost

Monday, December 6, 2010

a complex fondness

"When she was confronted with any emotional difficulty, however slight or major, her response was to approach rather than flee. There she would stay until the matter was resolved, and the emotional aftermath was free of any hangover or recrimination. My instincts toward resolution were similar: I knew that silence and distance were far more pernicious than head-on engagement. This compatibility helped ensure that there was no unclaimed baggage between us in the years to come.

As relieved as I was that day by the conversation, I was unnerved by my own vulnerability. It was as though we had crossed into a territory where everything mattered and that we were in it together. "Oh no," I said, half laughing but with tears in my eyes. "What is it?" she asked, concerned, and I said, "I need you.""


"Let's take the long way home" Gail Caldwell

No comments:

Post a Comment