"Never take a person for granted. Hold every person close to your heart because you might wake up one day and realize that you've lost a diamond while you were too busy collecting stones."
"Friendship with oneself is all-important because without it one cannot be friends with anyone else in the world."
- Eleanor Roosevelt
It takes courage to be an individual in our world - to have independent thoughts and morals. It takes more strength to stand up for the good in you then to give in to the bad influences around you. It takes courage to realize that sometimes being alone is better for you than succumbing to the desperation of having friends. That desperation often makes people oblivious to the situation they put themselves in. I think only those of us who are true individuals can remove ourselves from a situation and view it with the perspective of a perched bird. Only then can you perceive the relationships you have for what they truly are. Only then can you reflect on your actions and those of others so as to make decisions in the future that are best for you and only you.
"Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company."
- George Washington (1732 - 1799) US Statesman
I think too often we hold on to relationships because of the history or convenience. I say that being away from home is hard at times, but it has been a palpable blessing. Removing myself from my comfort zone full of friends I've had forever has given me an amazing perspective on all of the relationships in my life. Throughout the years and through the moves, it gets easier and easier to know right away who I want in my life. I don't believe in making friends and spending time with people you don't truly care about or who don't truly care about you. I don't believe in holding onto relationships without mutual respect and appreciation. Being friends with people just because you've been friends for so long or just because there isn't anybody else around doesn't make sense to me anymore. I am proud to say that I love and respect the friends I choose to have. Each is extremely different from the next when it comes to career, beliefs, family, habits, dreams, etc., but they all have their own identities and that is respectable. They have their own identities and don't expect me to change into them or vice versa. They respect me for who I am.
"My best friend is the one who brings out the best in me."
- Henry Ford
Throughout my moves around, I have developed amazing relationships with people and I've learned a great amount about who I am and who I want to be. I've learned that rather then staying quiet and adapting to those around me, it's easier and more beneficial to open my mouth and say what I think and tell them what I'm about. If they like me, I know they like me for who I really am. If they don't, it doesn't matter to me one bit. There are too many people in this world to worry about one or two people disagreeing with the way I am. I appreciate the friends I've made. I appreciate them for loving me for who I am, for the stupid things I say, for the mistakes I make, for my imperfections, and mostly for our differences. No two people are that much alike and if it seems that they are, they aren't individuals and most likely don't truly know each other.
"Your friend is the man who knows all about you, and still likes you."
- Elbert Hubard
I've always said that I think it takes more strength to say how you feel than to hold it in. If you don't, you'll never know who you are and neither will those you claim to have relationships with. A foundation based on superficial things is no foundation at all. Do what you love. Explore who you are so you know how you feel and never hide those feelings from anyone. True friendship is founded on a mutual respect for individual thoughts and opinions. If you aren't being honest, you aren't being a friend. I have the most respect for those who do things because they love what they do, not because it's the popular thing to do. Being a follower is nothing to be proud of.
"A friend to all is a friend to none."
- Aristotle
Thank you to all of my wonderful friends who are so different in every single way. Keep being you. That's why I love you. Thank you for loving me.
"Never shall I forget the days I spent with you. Continue to be my friend, as you will always find me yours."
- Ludwig van Beethoven
No comments:
Post a Comment